04 April 2008

Day 4 - Way 4

Thursday was an amazing day. After two years of working with military veterans in the same office, I started to get stories from them today. I have always felt nervous to ask about their war days because I've heard so much from movies and media that made me believe that veterans get traumatized when they have to think about what happened to them. One of my co-workers/friends told me about his time in Afghanistan and his duties as a medic. He also told me about some of the guys he worked with. One thing that stood out to me was his reference to one of his buddies as "scary looking". Then he showed me a few pictures. This guy is a big, tall, strong guy which makes him seem intimidating. Then he told me that his buddy has a heart of gold. You could tell from the pictures. He really looked like a decent guy.

Then I got to hear stories from another coworker/friend, he served in Vietnam. He was 20 years old when he went to war. In one raid, he was up ahead of the rest of his company when "the enemy" threw a hand grenade at him. He had a fist full of metal lodged in the back of his leg. He also lost his right eye. He laid in the ground for 6-8 hours until a medic could arrive. The medic took the metal out of his leg and then 5-6 guys carried him out on a stretcher made from branches and large leaves. He showed me a picture of the men carrying him out on a stretcher. I felt so honored to be looking at this picture. It really looks like the kinds of pictures you would see in a text book or in a history book.

Both of these men (who I've been working side by side with for 2 years) also told me today that they each have a Purple Heart. I knew I was in the company of fine men, but I had no idea of the sacrifices they had made for me.

I also spoke with a Marine veteran at work. She is new to our office and much more open about her service. She told us about the days when "the enemy" would be attacking and they would still go out and gather the bodies and the medics would do the best they could to save them. It was her job to stand over the bodies with her weapon as the medics worked and guard them from trying anything stupid.

After work I talked with my brother-in-law over the phone for an hour and a half about his military service. We also talked about how important it is to recognize the military and show gratitude toward our veterans.

It's important to remember that veterans are not dirty men that stand on corners asking for spare change. Veterans are men and women who offered up their lives as sacrifices for me, so that I could live the way I choose to live. Many have sacrificed and died in the process, but many more have sacrificed their lives forever after their military service because returning home to a forgetful and ungrateful nation, in my mind would be so much harder a sacrifice than dying.


Now, for my faithful readers, what does this all have to do with my parents missionary service......Well, when I returned home in the evening and went to read the Book of Mormon I came across a passage that I had not noticed before. Alma 43:17 This scripture talks about Moroni and it even states that he was only 25 years old(younger than I am now, but about the same age as my co-wroker was). It goes on to say in vs. 46 that they fought because they felt that it was their duty to God to preserve their families, and their lands, their country, and their rights, and their religion.

I am grateful for these scriptures that remind me how important it is to KNOW your DUTY TO GOD. I know that my parents know theirs and they are attempting to fulfill a portion of that duty as they serve their mission. I am grateful to the men and women who choose to stand up and say, "here am I send me, I will defend our families, and our lands, our country, and our rights, and our religion." The miracle today was that these men and women opened up to me today and shared what is sacred to them. I owe them so much more than earthly gratitude can proclaim.

1 comment:

DeLacerzzzz said...

Today I accomplished nothing again. Big surprise. I can relate to TRacy sort of. First of all, I get to see every day a man that was willing to die for me and you before he knew any of us. Second of all, I watched "God Grew Tired of Us" today. It is very moving and very uplifting. It reminds me that the US has a DUTY to the rest of the world to do what we can to make the wrong right. I will fight anyone to the death on that one. What a blessing to be able to order the pizza that I ate again. What a blessing to complain about all the things I do. I am a BAD person. Haha. I am grateful for the sacrifice that my parents are making and I feel bad that I am getting the blessings from their work. I hope to one day offer up such good things to this world and my Heavenly Father that my family gets the runoff blessings as well!